VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE
Make A Donation
Attend An Event
Make A Donation
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Free, quality tax preparation from our local network of IRS-certified preparers for individuals and families earning up to $73,000 annually.
For questions about previously filed returns, or if you received a letter from
the IRS and need help with next steps, please click here to request assistance.
For assistance preparing and filing a return that has not previously been filed, please review the following:
To comply with IRS guidelines, our preparers are unable to assist taxpayers whose returns have the following characteristics. You are, however, welcome to use our Do-it-yourself (DIY) software.
• Taxpayers who are married, but are filing separately
• Taxpayers who wish to claim solar installation tax credits
• Taxpayers with income/loss from rental property
• Some taxpayers with foreign pensions or social security
• Other, less common exceptions can also apply
Note too, that our volunteers are not certified to prepare tax returns for active-duty members of the military.
Please call Davis Monthan Air Force Base VITA at:(520) 228-3489 for assistance.
1. IRS-required, to prevent identity theft:
- Social Security Card for each person listed on the tax return. A document issued by the Social Security Administration containing at least the last four digits of the social security number will also suffice. This includes the SSA-1099 provided at year end to individuals receiving social security benefits.
- Picture ID for taxpayer (& spouse, if filing jointly)
2. Proof of income, like W2s and 1099s, and documentation of expenses if you are self-employed
3. Documentation of expenses related to higher education (1098-T, student activity report & receipts for off-campus purchases)
1. Accounts and routing numbers, for direct deposit of refunds
2. Prior year tax return
**Please read ALL information about limitations and required documents above to ensure you can and will be seen**
Please submit a ticket using our Support Portal. We will respond electronically or with a call, as appropriate, within three business days:
What is VITA?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program through United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona provides free, quality tax preparation from IRS-certified preparers to individuals and families earning up to $73,000 annually.
Our VITA program helps taxpayers access all tax credits for which they are eligible – including the Child Tax Credit (CTC), the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and for eligible older adults, the Arizona Property Tax Credit.
VITA is a community initiative led by United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona, in collaboration with Catholic Community Services and partners throughout Northern and Western Arizona. Together, and largely through a network of dedicated volunteers, this collaborative serves residents in nine of Arizona’s fifteen counties.
Volunteer with VITA!
“This program helps low-income community members and that appealed to my wife and me, so we decided to volunteer.”
2023 VITA Sponsors
2022 VITA Numbers