VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE
Make A Donation
Attend An Event
Make A Donation
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Free, quality tax preparation from IRS-certified preparers to individuals and families earning up to $73,000 annually.
Choose the Option that Works Best for You
*VIRTUAL TAX PREPARATION ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE NOW – CLICK THE “GET STARTED” LINK BELOW.
The GetYourRefund.org portal is open for the 2022 tax season. You will receive virtual return preparation, typically completed in 2 weeks. An internet connection, email address, and images of your necessary documents are all you will need to get started at that point. You can scan and submit your documents yourself or come to an in-person site and we’ll collect and scan that information for you. **Please note that we will accept returns with an income limit of up to $73,000. Please disregard any other income limit you may see on the GetYouRefund website.**
DIY Self Prep Software
Do your taxes for free, yourself.
Online services exist for individuals who feel confident completing their taxes without assistance.
Limited, in-person assistance will resume in June as part of an extended, summer season. Additional information, including dates and location, will be posted on this website shortly!
**You must provide ALL required documents to be seen, find a list of necessary documents below.**
Documents You Must Provide
Information You Must Provide
- Both Spouses, if filing jointly, must be present
- Picture ID for taxpayer (& spouse, if filing jointly)
- Social Security Card for each person listed on the return
- Proof of income, like W2s and 1099s
- Documentation of expenses
- If anyone in the household is insured through the marketplace, Form 1095-A & dependent’s proof of income
- If filing for the AZ Property Tax Credit, and a renter: AZ Form 201, completed by landlord
- Accounts and routing numbers for direct deposit of refunds
- Prior year tax return
- All return preparation is performed by our local network of IRS-certified Volunteers.
- All site schedules subject to changes or cancellations throughout tax season. Check back to the website often for the most up to date info.
- The deadline to file taxes is April 18, 2023 – but we recommend an early start. This can help ensure you receive your refund in a timely fashion, or help you prepare in case you owe money.
- Note that payments to the IRS can be scheduled for any date up to the filing deadline, so early preparation does not have to mean early payment.
- Taxpayers who are required to file state returns for any state other than Arizona should use the GetYourRefund.org link above. This will allow partner VITA programs in other states to assist with non-AZ state returns and ensure they are completed accurately.
- For a sign-language interpreter, call: 520-445-8484
What is VITA?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program through United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona provides free, quality tax preparation from IRS-certified preparers to individuals and families earning up to $73,000 annually.
Our VITA program helps taxpayers access all tax credits for which they are eligible – including the Child Tax Credit (CTC), the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and for eligible older adults, the Arizona Property Tax Credit.
VITA is a community initiative led by United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona, in collaboration with Catholic Community Services and partners throughout Northern and Western Arizona. Together, and largely through a network of dedicated volunteers, this collaborative serves residents in nine of Arizona’s fifteen counties.
Sponsors and Information
Click below to read our full FAQ of commonly asked questions, including the latest information on the Child Tax Credit. Or contact us directly for further assistance.
2022 VITA Numbers
Million dollars brought back
Arizona Tax returns completed
“This program helps low-income community members and that appealed to my wife and me, so we decided to volunteer.”